-
September 28th, 2001, 12:25 PM
#1
Mr Blackstock
Guest
I use black and white for the grain and shades, domany people use colour? does anyone think colour "adds"more to the filming?
feed back please, not too many super 8 users down here!
------------------
-
September 28th, 2001, 12:51 PM
#2
eddie
Guest
hello
I do a bit of both. I think that Black and white is more forgiving and more interesting sometimes.
But sometimes you cant beat colour.
Im currently beginning to plan a short film that will be shot on Kodachrome 40, (colour) but its final format will be video, where I will turn it into black and white. This is purely because my last two films were black and white, but I find that k40 is cheaper.
We shall see what it turns out like.
For me black and white helps keep production costs down, and I actually prefer the look.
good luck
------------------
-
September 28th, 2001, 01:06 PM
#3
Mr Blackstock
Guest
Eddie,
can the brandof camera affect the quality of picture? i use a sankyo cm400 and hannimex, have not used colour yet. Would i need a high end camera to do justice to a good clean shot?
------------------
-
September 28th, 2001, 01:26 PM
#4
eddie
Guest
Hi There
Of course, Im sure it does!
But Ive got a couple of pretty ratty camera's and personally I think its more important to get the lights the action and the camera angle/setup right, rather than spending money on expensive equipment.
A Poor workman always blames his tools after all.
Im sure others on this forum will have their opinions.
At the moment I am only really interested in getting a good exposure and pretty much any old camera will do for that.
I think that older cameras can wobble the film in the gate, and others may have a scratched lens so the better quality camera you have the better your chances of getting a clean image.
But as I say, a poor workman always blames his tools.
------------------
-
September 28th, 2001, 01:37 PM
#5
8th Man
Guest
They say the most important part of a camera is the twelve inches behind the eye peice.
I have a real fondness for B&W in S8 format. It has a way of realy holding a picture together. Some of the most interesting stuff I've shot has been B&W and I have watched it over and over almost on a loop. nothing beats projecting B&W projected on a wall 10 feet across. The eye understands value more quickly than hue anyway and I think filmmakers should as well.
------------------
PRM
-
September 28th, 2001, 01:49 PM
#6
rollemfilm
Guest
black & white is used best when the story is the most vital part of a film. color can take away and distract you from that. there are times when color should be used. as when color is part of the story. for instance, a wildlife film might not work as well in black and white. or a film about space travel might also work better in color. depending on the feel you want. it's like radio; you hear the words and create the image in your mind. as a viewer you become more involved because there is less stimulation and less information. you become more active in the process. that's why good silent films are good films too. it's participatory and intense. you need better concentration when watching a silent film. if you turn away for a moment you may miss a vital hand motion or look that will completely change the story. although that is the extreme, black and white has these types of issues connected to it. sometimes color can help though. as when you are shooting low light. it's easier to make out shapes in subtle
color that high contrast black and white. a good example of the minimal aproach to filmmaking is the "french connection". although shot in color, the dialoge is so sparce, you stay glued to the screen for any story information. a good black and white film is Kubrick's "dr. strangelove...". here in my opinion, the film would've suffered greatly in color. and Kubrick i'm sure knew this. he knew color and used it effectivly, as in "the shinning". so it is about vision, and what you want to communicate.
------------------
-
September 29th, 2001, 03:20 AM
#7
Nigel
Guest
I use both it just depends on what I want my work to "look" like. Good Luck
------------------
-
September 29th, 2001, 05:01 AM
#8
Matt Pacini
Guest
You really need a camera with good glass to get good images, no matter how creative the filmmaker is.
However, there are lots of no-frills cameras with good lenses out there, that won't cost you $500 + to get into.
Matt Pacini
------------------
-
September 29th, 2001, 08:29 AM
#9
Mr Blackstock
Guest
thank you all for the great advice, I was feeling a little alone on the B&W front. To tell the truth I have paid as little as $20 for a camera among the others I have, and have baulked at the $300 others on offer. I had intended to use B&W predominantly to make sure I got "it" right, the way I see it, if I can be good, and hopefully master B&W without sound, then colour should be an easier experience, and when I do decide to purchase decent lights and sound equipment I will be confident that I will be able to use it!
Thanks! Gareth
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks